Driving down the spiral staircase to Chota Suruk
Construction of the new school at Chota Suruk has been a challenge. To get to the site from The Samthar Farm House, I usually walk down the old mule track to the Teesta Valley. Some years ago this was converted into a jeep track with rough stone soling, which descended in a spiral staircase to the hamlet of Chota Suruk, and then down to the Relli Valley. Successive monsoons took their toll, and the track was virtually abandoned due to dislodged soling, and forest undergrowth. I have always enjoyed walking down this trail through deep forests, with breathtaking views of the snow clad ranges and of the Chota suruk spur, spread out a thousand meters below. Last month a dozer was used to level the surface and widen some of the hairpin bends. However the surface remained rough and gradient steep. The track was put to use by the dare devil drivers from Chota Suruk in their 4WD pick-up trucks, which had to reverse to turn on some of the hairpin bends.
On 16 December, the General decided to take on the track by driving down in his Renault Duster, with Ronald Lobo and me, keeping him company. It was a exciting ride, with some anxious moments, and did require us to remove manually some boulders strewn on the road. Finally we reached Chota Suruk after a drive of 30 minutes. In future I would still prefer to walk for one and a half hours.
- Graeme Budd awarded the Order of Australia Monday, 8th July 2019
- Spring Time Visitors Thursday, 27th June 2019
- Visitors From Chandigarh Wednesday, 26th June 2019
- Old Students Reunion reveals our shining stars Monday, 18th March 2019
- Recent Visitors and their thoughts Monday, 18th March 2019
- Awake & Shine New School opened at Chota Suruk with Nursery Class on February 22, 2019 Monday, 4th March 2019
- Childrens day at Awake & Shine School, Samthar Wednesday, 19th December 2018
- The Chota Suruk School Team Friday, 14th December 2018
- Admission day at Chota Suruk Friday, 14th December 2018
- Project Chota Suruk: creating a new Awake & Shine Primary School Thursday, 13th December 2018