Graeme Budd awarded the Order of Australia
All of us at Awake and shine were delighted to learn that our friend, Graeme Budd has been named in the 2019 Queens Birthday Honour’s list as the recipient of the Order of Australia. The order of Australia was established, to recognise Australian citizens for achievement or meritorious service. We send our sincere congratulations for this well-deserved honour.
Philanthropist long term Rotarian, former principal , Red Cross volunteer and more- the list of Graeme’s achievements is long and varied . Graeme’s sustained philanthropical service to help us in establishing our school as a rural centre of excellence played a major role in his achievement. At Awake and Shine , Graeme and his wife Joy are well known as smiling, benevolent, and helpful friends of the children, teachers and parents. We can never thank them enough for their committed involvement in our school
Their invaluable help in managing the yearly sponsorship of over fifty children by members of Benalla Rotary club, will always be remembered.. They supported our English literacy program, by introducing us to Margot Sherwill and Ula Sheather, who in turn trained our teachers and developed the invaluable “Margot’s Readers”. They organized Pascalina and Anju’s learning trip to Australia,. guided us to start the children’s gardening project .and obtained Rotary International funding for our water harvesting clean drinking water , and ‘Train the trainers” projects. I was able to raise funds for the school by organizing value aided tours initiated and lead by Joy and Graeme. Finally, their encouragement gave me the confidence to start the new school at Chota Suruk.
We are grateful to Graeme and Joy, for all the tireless effort they have put in for the cause of quality education for the children at Samthar. They have been instrumental in changing the life of so many of our children, in many ways to make them into “change makers of the future”. Their perseverance and consistent support enabled me to convert my dream to reality and take a few steps forward in transforming rural education in the Himalayas.
Our sincere thanks go out to you, Graeme and Joy. We rejoice in your achievement and wish you good health and happiness. Here are some pictures to jog your memory
- Spring Time Visitors Thursday, 27th June 2019
- Visitors From Chandigarh Wednesday, 26th June 2019
- Old Students Reunion reveals our shining stars Monday, 18th March 2019
- Recent Visitors and their thoughts Monday, 18th March 2019
- Awake & Shine New School opened at Chota Suruk with Nursery Class on February 22, 2019 Monday, 4th March 2019
- Driving down the spiral staircase to Chota Suruk Wednesday, 19th December 2018
- Childrens day at Awake & Shine School, Samthar Wednesday, 19th December 2018
- The Chota Suruk School Team Friday, 14th December 2018
- Admission day at Chota Suruk Friday, 14th December 2018
- Project Chota Suruk: creating a new Awake & Shine Primary School Thursday, 13th December 2018